Monday, February 14, 2011

The Rearview Mirror

So often we speak about forgetting what is behind and moving forward. It's true that in dwelling on things of the past - mistakes, choices, relationships -we often see things that we don't like. Focusing on those things can impede our ability to move forward and into greener pastures. While I agree whole heartedly that it's not about what is behind you, but more so about what lies ahead, I can't help but peer over my should every once in a while to remind myself of where I've come from.

So often along the path of life and the pursuit of a dream we can get bogged down. We become discouraged when things aren't happening like we thought or we just seem to be pouring out and pouring out while receiving little in return. I heard Mark Sanborn speak recently and he comented that "successful people find themselves discouraged more often than unsuccessful people." Successful people set the bar so high that they often times become discouraged along the way, but the important thing is to keep trying.

I find it useful every once in a while to peer into the review mirror for two reasons. One, it allows you to truly gauge how far you have come. Things seldom happen in our lives as quickly as we'd like them to but it's important to step back and see the big picture. This should show you that despite what you may feel, you are moving forward and you continue to gain ground.

Secondly, peering into the past can help us through those times when faith is in short supply. "Look at your track record" was the encouragement my dad gave me to get me through my senior year of college. He was trying to remind me that I had ended up at college because I believed that's where the Lord had called me. He lead me there and He would lead me to wherever I was suppose to go next.

Look at your track record. When faith is in short supply, recall times from the past when God provided a friend, money to pay the bills or a cool drink of water in the middle of the desert. He has seen you through storms before and he will see you through whatever lies ahead.

Just remember as you move forward and walk through this life, every once in a while, peer over your shoulder to remind yourself of how far you've come and to assure yourself that the God who was with you then, is with you now.

1 comment: