Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Saga Continues...

Welcome to the chaos and craziness that is my life. Ha ha. I'm now on an airplane headed back to California after yet another experience I never really thought I would be blessed with. Many of you know that I've been obsessed with the world of ATV racing for most of my life. Unfortunately the biggest ATV racing series is held on the east coast and I've never had an opportunity to attend a race. All that changed last week though as a team manager for one of the biggest race teams in the country called an asked if I could drive their racer support vehicle to Washington Georgia for the season's opening race. Turns out their usual guy had injured his knee and was unable to drive. So, whats a guy that has no real commitment or responsibility to do when an opportunity like this is dropped in his lap? Drive 39 + hours across the country in 3 days of course!!!

I made the trip from Oregon to Illinois a few times in college but it was always with other people and I was to solo this trip. Thankfully I could break it up and didn't have to drive straight through. I made it to El Paso the first night, Monroe Louisiana the second night and on into Georgia on night number three. An unexpected surprise was making a brief stop in Fort Worth to visit one of my lovely nurses from my extended hospital stay there last July. It was great catching up and much nicer chatting without my head ringing and leaking fluid everywhere.
In Washington I met up with the race team and helped mount and dismount tires for dozens of racers throughout the course of the weekend. I had an awesome opportunity to watch the pro race and afterward, even connected with a local member of the Fox news crew who was milling around the track. He was the weekend sports guy who happened to show up because he heard there was an event going on but he didn't really know anything about it. Being the rather shy fellow that I am, I offered to take him around the event and explain how things work and even helped him get an interview with the top two pro racers.

I continue to be amazed at how God works all things together and knows SO much better than we do, what He is doing. So many of the experiences I've had and people I've met over the last two years were always just hopeful thoughts and not something I really ever thought I would get to experience. Even more so over the last months as life has been challenging and work has been scarce. But isn't it just like God to make us wait, grow impatient and then just when we feel we've had enough, He lavishes something so new and exciting upon us.

This trip has been an unexpected blessing and I'm not sure what my involvement will be in the future but I'm hoping for good things. Everyone I met seemed happy to have me around and it was an awesome experience to be able to work in the thick of the industry I love. I even made some new friends that promised to bring me real Tennessee Barbecue if I make it to the next round. I can only hope.....

4 comments: